University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota

J Visa

Travel Information For J-Visa Holders


This information is for individuals with DS-2019 forms issued by ISSS only. Individuals with a different J-1 program sponsor must contact their J-1 program sponsor for travel advice!

Travel Within the United States

Travel within the United States and to U.S. territories is not restricted and no special documents are required. However, it is extremely important that you and your dependents carry your passport and visa documents (including DS-2019, I-94 card, proof of Health Insurance and documentary evidence of Funding) with you when traveling in the U.S. in the event you need to present them to law enforcement officials.

Travel Outside the United States

You will need to bring the following with you (not in your luggage) if you are traveling outside of the United States:

  • Valid Passport,
  • Valid J-1 Entry Visa stamp on your passport,
  • Valid DS-2019 Document,
  • Valid Re-entry Signature on page 1 of your DS-2019 (Travel Validation by Responsible Officer section),
  • Documentary Evidence of Funding.
  • SCHOLARS AND STUDENT-INTERNS ONLY: Letter from Faculty Mentor on University of Minnesota letterhead which states:
    1. The Faculty Mentor is aware of the scholar or student-intern's travel
    2. The travel does not negatively effect the scholar or student-interns J program objective
    3. The Faculty Mentor expects the scholar or student-intern to return to the University of Minnesota to complete their J program
  • STUDENTS ONLY: Evidence of full-time enrollment at the University (transcripts and Reduced Course Load forms),
  • STUDENTS ONLY: Offer letter of employment (for those with Academic Training Authorization)

Other Information


If you have specific questions about travel, please consult with an ISSS adviser. Current walk-in hours are posted on the ISSS website.

Last Update: July 18, 2017