University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota

J Visa

J-1 Exchange Visitors and J-2 dependents:
Change of Address

If you change your residential address (the location where you live), you are required by SEVIS to notify your J-1 sponsor within 10 days of the change. Your J-1 sponsor is the organization that issued your DS-2019.

If ISSS issued your DS-2019, you just need update your address in your University of Minnesota record:

  1. Go to
  2. Log in using your X.500 ID and password.
  3. Click on the “My Info” tab.
  4. Click on the pencil that is to the right of the Address label. Clicking on any of the other pencils icons will not give you the option to update your address.
  5. Find the address that is labeled "Mail" under "Address Type," and click on the Edit box to the right. The "Mail" address type is the only one that allows us to update your electronic SEVIS record. 
  6. Update your residential address as follows. Putting in any other information or changing the order of the information will cause your address to be rejected.
    • In Address 1: Enter the House number and street name ONLY. This is true whether you live in an apartment, dorm, or house. If you enter anything other than the building or house number and name of the street on the first line, your whole address will be rejected. For example: 1234 University Ave. S. or 412 22nd Ave. SE
    • In Address 2: Enter your apartment number or residence hall name and room number. For example: Apt. 3 or Middlebrook Hall 1234
    • Enter City and State in the proper boxes and nowhere else. MyU will automatically fill in the zip code after you have entered the other information
    • Click "Save" once you are done.
  7. Review the address in the "Change Address" screen that appears. In the "Address Types" box, "Mail" will be grayed out and have a check mark next to it. Also check the "Home" address. Uncheck any of the other boxes (Billing, etc.) unless this address should also be used for those purposes. When reviewing your address, please note:
    • The system may update the information you enter in order to match it to a database of street addresses, so the text may change once you go to the next line (terms may be abbreviated, for example).
    • You cannot use a P.O. box or foreign, office, or department address. You must the U.S. street address where you reside.
  8. If you need to make edits, click "Edit Address." Otherwise click "Save."
  9. If you are living in a temporary residence, you must enter your current address now and then update it within 10 days of moving.

Once your "current mailing" address is changed on MyU, ISSS is automatically notified, and we will automatically notify SEVIS.

Some J-1 scholars and student-interns may not have access to MyU (if you do not have an X.500 ID or if you do not have an appointment at the UMN). If this is the case, you must ask your hosting department to update your address in PeopleSoft, the UMN's central administrative database, or through Human Resources. Again, this update must occur within 10 days of the actual change of your residential address.

We also recommend suppressing your contact information (phone number, email, address, etc) so it cannot be in the UMN's online directory. Directions are available here.

J-2 Dependents (DS-2019 was issued by ISSS)

If the J-2 dependent is living in the U.S. with the J-1, when the J-1 updates her or his address on MyU, the J-2’s record will also be updated automatically in SEVIS.

Any J-2 dependent who is living separately from the J-1 scholar or student must file an AR-11 Form, within 10 days of moving.

ISSS suggests making a photocopy of the complete form for their personal records. ISSS recommends that they send the form by certified mail so that they have proof that they have complied with the requirement.

Please See Guidelines for Completing the AR-11