University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota

Payroll Documents - I-9 Form

COVID-19 Update:

For individuals starting employment at the University of Minnesota, please review the Office of Human Resource's website and/or consult with your department for updated information about how to submit your I-9 information currently. The following information is regarding the standard process.

The Form I-9 is a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) form for Employment Eligibility Verification. All individuals employed in the United States must complete a Form I-9 either on paper or online. The I-9 verifies the individual’s employment eligibility to work in the United States and salary cannot be paid until the I-9 has been satisfied.

The University of Minnesota requires that all new employees complete your I-9 and present the necessary documents ON OR BEFORE your first day of employment. You will not be able to begin work until this paperwork is completed.

The University of Minnesota uses the online version of the Form I-9 and e-Verify to satisfy the regulations.


  1. Consult with your department to confirm your position. The Human Resources/I-9 Administrator for your department will provide you with instructions for beginning your I-9 paperwork.
  2. All non-immigrants (including F, J, and H visa holders) should call (612) 624-8647 to make an appointment to complete your I-9 at the Office of Human Resources, Foreign National Employee Support desk in the Donhowe Building (Payroll Services). This appointment must occur on or before your first day of employment, and it will be 10-15 minutes long. (If you received your green card and need to complete a new I-9, you do not need to visit the Foreign National Employee Support desk; the I-9 can be handled by your department.)
  3. Go to the Donhowe Building (319 15th Ave SE) for your appointment, and bring the following documents:
    • Passport
    • I-94 record or U.S. admission stamp (in passport)
    • I-20, DS-2019 or I-797 Approval Notice
    • EAD (Employment Authorization Document) if you are on F-1 Optional Practical Training or on J-2 status with work authorization
    • Appointment/offer letter from hiring department (not required)
    • If you have a Social Security Number (SSN): You should bring it to this appointment.
    • If you do not have an Social Security Number (SSN): You may complete the I-9 before being issued an SSN. However, after receiving the SSN, you must provide this number to your department’s HR/I-9 Administrator so that it can be entered into the PeopleSoft and I-9 Express systems. Employees who are eligible for a tax treaty must also provide the SSN to OHR Payroll Services in order to take advantage of the tax treaty (appointment required).
      You must go to the Social Security Administration to obtain a SSN. Review our information about applying for a Social Security Number to learn more about how to apply including when you can apply. Your application will be deined if you apply too early.

F-1 and J-1 Visa Status Holders: The University of Minnesota is an e-Verify employer. You must have an active SEVIS record for this system. If you are a new student, you must be registered to activate your SEVIS record.

F-1 and J-1 Transfer Students: If you are transferring to the University of Minnesota from another institution in the U.S., you will not be able to have an I-9 processed until you receive your University of Minnesota I-20/DS-2019 complete your ISSS Check-In and Welcome Session and satisfy your other new student requirements.

For more information, please see the University Payroll Administration website.