University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota

U.S. Entry Restrictions

Please check Travel & General Status Information if you are traveling outside the U.S.. Specific information is available for trips to Canada and Mexico and for Visa Waiver visitors.

Warning if transporting food, agricultural, or animal products:

It is illegal and you can be fined, detained, or denied entry to the U.S. if you are carrying restricted food items or other prohibited agricultural or animal products. If you wish to research the exact prohibitions see more information.

In general it is best to avoid bringing food, agricultural, or animal products. An example would be apples, oranges or a meat sandwich.

Prohibited and Restricted Items:

Make sure to check the lists before you leave for your trip to the U.S.

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP)
Items include food, pets, and medication.

Transportation Security Administration (TSA)
Lists of items that can be in carry-on baggage and that need to be in checked baggage.

Warning regarding travel following an arrest or conviction for driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol (DUI)

Arrests or convictions for driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol (DUI) or driving while intoxicated (DWI) may result in the cancellation (also called "revocation") of your visa by the U.S. Department of State. Your visa is the sticker pasted into your passport by the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, and is required for entry to the U.S. A visa cancellation/revocation does not end your current immigration status if you are already inside the U.S. However, if your visa has been cancelled/revoked, and you leave the U.S., you will need to apply for a new visa to return to the U.S. Click here to read the regulation:

Warning if entering or departing the U.S. with $10,000 or more in U.S. currency or monetary instruments

If you or your combined family members are carrying $10,000 or more, you must list your total (family) funds on one U.S. CBP Declaration 6059B Form and you will be required to complete a FinCEN Form 105 Report during secondary inspection. There is no fee.

Definition of monetary instrument on the required finCEN Form 105 Report

  • Coin or currency of the United States or of any other country,
  • traveler’s checks in any form,
  • negotiable instruments (including checks, promissory notes, and money orders) in bearer form, endorsed without restriction, made out to a fictitious payee, or otherwise in such form that title thereto passes upon delivery,
  • incomplete instruments (including checks, promissory notes, and money orders) that are signed but on which the name of the payee has been omitted, and
  • securities or stock in bearer form or otherwise in such
  • form that title thereto passes upon delivery. Monetary instruments do not include (i) checks or money orders made payable to the order of a named person which have not been endorsed or which bear restrictive endorsements, (ii) warehouse receipts, or (iii) bills of lading.)

It is a requirement  to declare the total of all funds over $10,000 U.S. dollars being carried by an individual or a family group. A single U.S. Customs and Border Protection Declaration Form 6059B must be used to add up and declare all funds even if carried separately by family members.

Visa Waiver Program travelers:

For any visitor entering the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program it is necessary before traveling, to register with the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA).

General Travel Information

U.S. Dept. of State travel information

© 2015 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved. The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer. Privacy Statement