University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota

H-1B &
Permanent Residence

Permanent Residence for Faculty & Staff

Hiring and Recruiting

The following University policies and resources contain information related to recruitment requirements for foreign national employees:

Tenured and Tenure-Track Teaching Faculty

Once offered a position, ISSS generally handles Permanent Residency applications for tenured and tenure-track teaching faculty through the EB-2 Labor Certification process. See PR Applications for Tenure-track Teaching Faculty.

All Other Job Categories

Persons in other full-time, permanent positions may qualify to apply for Permanent Residence either by self-petition or through the University of Minnesota (petition by employer). See "Employment-based Green Card Avenues for Academics in Higher Education” for the most common avenues.

University departments who decide to pursue a PR petition (submitted by employer) must work with the University Office of General Counsel (OGC) and a private immigration attorney.  OGC handles the eligibility of the position and the clearance of private attorneys in such cases. Please see the OGC policy and procedure

Click here for information on Immigration Attorneys and Law Practices.