University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota

H-1B &
Permanent Residence

Change of Address—H-1B and U.S. Permanent Residents

You are required to notify USCIS of any change in your residential address within 10 days of moving by completing an AR-11 “Alien Change of Address” notification, either online or by mail. (See Guidelines for Completing the AR-11.)

Please contact ISSS if your U.S. residential address changes while we are preparing your H-1B/E-3 petition, or while your H-1B/E-3 application is pending with USCIS.

For University purposes, it is also recommended that you update your University of Minnesota record:

  1. Go to
  2. Log in using your UMN ID and password.
  3. Click on the “My Info” tab.
  4. Click on the Edit pencil that is to the right of the Address label. Clicking on any of the other pencils icons will not give you the option to update your address.
  5. Find the address that is labeled “Mail” under “Address Type,” and click on the Edit box to the right.
  6. Update your residential address and click on “OK.” Please note:
    • The system may update the information you enter in order to match it to a database of street addresses, so the text may change once you go to the next line (terms may be abbreviated, for example).
    • You must use a U.S. address; do not use a foreign address.
    • Do not use a P.O. box; you must use the street address where you reside.
    • Do not use your office or department address.
  7. Review the address in the “Change Address” screen that appears. In the “Address Types” box, “Mail” will be grayed out and have a check mark next to it. Make sure to uncheck any of the other boxes (Home, Billing, etc.) unless this address should also be used for those purposes.
  8. If you need to make edits, click “Edit Address.” Otherwise click “Save.”