University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota

H-1B &
Permanent Residence

Maintaining Status

Taking Classes While in H-1B Status

An individual holding H-1B status can take classes as long as the study is incidental to the individual’s employment and not their primary purpose for being in the U.S. and they maintain their visa status. However, they may not hold an assistantship at the University of Minnesota while holding H-1B status.