University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota

H-1B &
Permanent Residence

Maintaining Status

Consultation Policy

Employees on H-1B visas may be asked to consult or give lectures/speeches to other academic institutions or private employers. These activities are not precluded by an H-1B if they are incidental to their employment and the employee does not receive a wage or salary, or any other monetary or material gain for his/her services. The employee may be reimbursed for transportation and reasonable, incidental living expenses.