University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota

H-1B &
Permanent Residence

Employment-based Visas at the University of Minnesota


H-1B and Other Nonimmigrant Work Visas

The H-1B visa/status is used for a nonimmigrant temporary worker in a specialty occupation. It allows U.S. employers to hire qualifying foreign nationals temporarily in certain types of employment positions.

ISSS works with hiring departments and the nonimmigrants they hire to determine which visa type is appropriate for a particular position. We prepare H-1B and E-3 petitions H-1B petitions for qualified staff and faculty who are employed by the U of M. Review more information about H-1B Employment at the University of Minnesota.

For general information about the H-1B visa/status in the U.S., including eligibility requirements, review our H-1B Frequently Asked Questions.

Permanent Residence (PR) Services and Referrals

Permanent Residence (PR) in the U.S. is an immigration status that allows a foreign citizen to live and work permanently in the U.S. while retaining home country citizenship. Permanent Residence is not the same as U.S. citizenship. There are a number of terms that are used to refer to PR, including: green card; immigrant status; immigrant visa; lawful permanent residence; resident alien. See USCIS, (click on Green Card) for ways to apply for Permanent Residence.

ISSS processes employment-based PR petitions for tenured and tenure track teaching faculty.  We refer other faculty and staff to appropriate University offices and private attorneys.  We refer students, faculty, and staff who already have or are changing to PR status to appropriate University offices/services. See the menu on the left for further information.