UMN Faculty Mentor Responsibilities
For UMN departments inviting J-1 Professors, Scholars, Short-term Scholars, and Student-Interns
The faculty mentor’s signature is required on page 6 of the ‘Prospective J-1 Scholar Application’ form (for Professors, Research Scholars, and Short-term Scholars) or on the ‘Host Department to Receive a Student-Intern’ form (for Student-Interns). With his or her signature, the faculty mentor is agreeing to the responsibilities below.
SEVIS, requires the University to be responsible for tracking and
reporting international visitors on J-1 (and F-1 visas). The consequence
to the J-1 for not complying with immigration regulations are very
severe under SEVIS.
ISSS will help your J-1 visitor maintain their legal status. However, we need
your assistance. As faculty mentor, you must agree to be responsible for
- The J-1 visitor reports to ISSS within 30 days of arrival in the U.S.
The J-1 must bring his or her visa documents and those of their J-2 dependents.
If the foreign national does not report to ISSS within this period, ISSS
is required to report this via SEVIS, and the visitors status is
- ISSS is notified within 10 days when the J-1 changes his/her residential
- ISSS is notified if a scholar does not arrive within 30 days of the
DS-2019 start date.
- The J-1 meets regularly with you to review activities and progress.
- The J-1 understands that he or she can not engage in professional activities
that are not included on the DS-2019 without prior approval from you.
Employment or other types of payment that are not specified on the DS-2019
must have prior approval from you and from ISSS.
- ISSS is notified when the J-1 ends his/her J-1 program for any reason,
- The J-1 has completed the program as scheduled.
- The J-1 completed before the end date on the DS-2019.
- The J-1 wishes to transfer to a different J-1 sponsor.
- The J-1 is changing J-1 category via re-entry into the U.S.
- The J-1 is changing status to a different visa type.
- The J-1 has left the University before completing the program.
- The J-1 visitor is informed that he/she is required by the Department of State to carry health insurance for themselves and their dependents. In addition, the J-1 is informed that the U of MN requires all international scholars to enroll in the University sponsored health insurance.
Additional Responsibilities for Faculty Mentors of J-1 Student-Interns
- Evaluations: A final evaluation of the Student-Intern is required and must be completed prior to the conclusion of the internship program. Programs longer than 6 months require mid-point and final evaluations. A copy of the completed and signed evaluation must be given to ISSS for required record keeping.
- Position Restrictions: Student-Interns may not be placed in unskilled or casual labor positions, a position that requires or involves child care or elder care, or a position in the field of aviation. Student-Interns also may not be placed in clinical positions or positions that engage in any kind of work that involves patient (human or animal) care or contact, including any work that would require medication or other clinical or medical care. The Student-Intern’s position can require no more than 20% clerical work.